Severe storms such as hurricanes, tornados, and blizzards often force residents to evacuate their homes. Having an emergency plan for your family may be something you have thought of previously, but you don't want to forget about your extended family- your pets. You can keep your pets safe during a hurricane by preparing in advance. The last thing you want during a storm is to be stuck without shelter for your pets or find that you have forgotten Fido's food supplies in the chaos.
Follow these tips to ensure that you are prepared to evacuate at a moment's notice and keep your pets safe during a severe storm.
- Maintain a contact list of refuge sites that allow pets; boarding facilities, veterinary clinics, pet-friendly hotels, stables or homes of friends and relatives outside the disaster area
- Do not leave your pet behind when you evacuate!
- The Red Cross DOES NOT accept pets and humans are the first to be rescued during a disaster
- Visit www.gopetfriendly.com or www.petswelcome.com for a list of pet-friendly hotels
- Keep your pet's immunization/health records handy. Many shelters and boarding clinics require these records to make sure their vaccinations are up to date
- Make sure you have a carrier for your pet. You will need a secure way to contain your pet during an evacuation. If your pet panics, it is less likely that they will escape from you
- Chose and use an identification method for each animal such as micro-chipping, ID tags, and photos of you and your animal. If you get separated from your pet during an emergency, its tags or microchip are the best way to ensure their safe return.
- Include pet supplies in your emergency supply kit:
- Food and water bowls
- 3-day supply of water and food (You can feed your pet wet food so they drink less water)
- Health records/ immunization record
- Microchip numbers
- Litter box and litter
- Newspaper for sanitary purposes
For many pet owners, their animals are part of the family. Preparing ahead of time will help to make a quick and smooth evacuation process. If your home is damaged by a severe storm such as a hurricane, ServiceMaster Dynamic Cleaning is here to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year by calling 800-865-5157 or contact us