Toaster1

Helpful Kitchen Tips

Cooking is the primary cause of residential fires according to the FPA.  Some helpful tips include:

  • Cooking is more fun than cleaning, but keep your oven, cooking appliances, and pans free of grease and food spills that could ignite.
  • Keep an eye on your cooking.  Most kitchen fires start while cooking is unattended.
  • Don't leave the kitchen for prolonged periods while food is cooking.
  • Keep cooking areas free of flammable objects such as potholders and towels.
  • Heat cooking oil gradually and never leave it unattended.  Have a large enough pan lid handy to suffocate a grease fire in a pan or skillet.  Never pour water on a grease fire.
  • If food ignites in your microwave, turn it off and keep the door shut to suffocate the fire. 
  • Use slotted broiler pans to catch dripping fat from meat. 
  • If a fire starts in your oven, turn off the heat and keep the door closed to suffocate the flames.
  • Keep an ABC dry chemical fire extinguisher in the kitchen area.  Make sure other household members know where it is and how to use it.  Check it periodically to see when it needs to be recharged.
  • Routinely check coffee pots, small ovens, and other appliances to make sure they are turned off when you are finished using them.
  • Don't operate small appliances near the sink or when your hands or the countertop are wet.
  • Avoid wearing clothes with long, loose-fitting sleeves when cooking.

 Use Appliances WiselyAppliancesonfire

  • When using appliances follow the manufacturer's safety precautions. 
  • Overheating, unusual smells, shorts, and sparks are all warning signs that appliances need to be shut off, then replaced or repaired. 
  • Unplug appliances when not in use. 
  • Use safety caps to cover all unused outlets, especially if there are small children in the home.
  • Never place unapproved items in a microwave, such as metal, paper bags or clothing.

Related Articles:

What to Do If You Have a Grease Fire

How to Keep Warm and Prevent Space Heater Fires