If your football party has left your carpet and wood floors a mess, you may need to call for help. But you may just be dealing with a small stain, such as soda that was spilled in the midst of all the excitement. In that case, follow this technique to remove the spot from your carpets.
- Blot as much of the spot as possible.
- Prepare either a detergent cleaning solution of 1/4 teaspoon liquid dish soap with 1 cup warm water or a vinegar cleaning solution of 2 tablespoons white vinegar with 4 cups of warm water.
- Pretest the solution on a spot of the carpet.
- Apply the cleaning solution to the affected area by putting it on a cloth and using the cloth to apply to the carpet. Work from the outside of the spot toward the center.
- Let the solution soak into the carpet for at least five minutes.
- Blot the spot with a clean white cloth until no more soda transfers to the cloth. Do not rub the spot or you might ruin the carpet fibers.
- Rinse with cold water. Be sure all cleaning solution is removed from the carpet.
- If you can still see the stain, repeat the process until the soda is removed or it no longer transfers to the cloth.